Monday, February 16, 2009

Is The News is Killing Your Business?

Yep, I hear it everyday on every news channel…The economy is falling, the economy is falling! But unlike Chicken Little, it really is falling. One big problem though. I also meet with clients throughout the day, and they are often telling me that business is increasing, or at least about the same as last year.

Now some prospects, as in not yet clients yet say that they need help. I understand that, heck that’s why I’m a Marketing Resultant in the first place, to help.

But what bothers them the most, and me, is why does the news insist on making us feel worse everyday? Bad news sells? Okay, how about we lay off the producers of news and the journalists that write how bad life is…would they want to hear how bad it is “Out there in the real world”?

Any chance we can get some news about people coming closer together, reaching out more to neighbors to help, or about how communities helped each other in the past? I remember hearing my grandfathers talking about the close-knit communities they lived in during the depression. People came together to help.

Now, would that being broadcast maybe help other get “Good” ideas and start thinking of how they may benefit others? Maybe even spark a new business for the entrepreneurs among us.

I also disapprove of those that say, “I choose not to participate in this recession”. Okay great, you are doing well and choose not to participate, but what about your clients, do they choose not to participate? Can you reach out to others and help them grow personally and professionally?

Just a little thought that overwhelmed me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment